Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Lemon Meringue Pie (and Robert Taylor!)

I bought some lemons that were on sale the other day and happened to notice earlier that I had two pie crusts in my fridge that needed to be used.  It didn't take long for me to realize that lemons + pie crusts = lemon meringue pie! So, I thought I would share my afternoon baking with you guys.  It really is delicious! 


Pie #1
Lemon Meringue Pie

Filling:
1 1/2 c. granulated sugar
1/3 c. cornstarch
1 1/2 c. water
3 egg yolks
3 T. butter
4 T. lemon juice
1 1/3 T. lemon zest

Meringue:
3 egg whites
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
6 T. granulated or powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Prepare meringue as follows: Beat egg whites with a mixer until frothy.  Gradually add in cream of tartar and sugar.  Beat until stiff peaks form and egg whites hold their shape.  Finally add vanilla, and mix thoroughly.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Separate 3 large eggs, reserving the whites for the meringue. In a separate mixing bowl, beat yolks and set aside.  In heavy saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch.  Gradually add water, and heat to a boil, stirring constantly.  Mixture should be thick.  Remove from heat.Very slowly pour 1/2 of the hot mixture into the beaten egg yolks. (Caution: do this gradually, while stirring vigorously, otherwise you will scramble the yolks! I like to use a large measuring cup to transfer it so that I have more control over the amount I'm pouring in.) After this is well-blended, gently pour egg mixture into hot mixture on the stove, and return to a boil.  Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.  (Careful: heating too fast and insufficient stirring may cause pudding to scorch!) Remove from heat, and add butter, lemon juice and lemon zest.  Stir until blended.  Pour into prepared (baked) pie shell and top with meringue.  Be sure that meringue is sealed to edge of pie crust to help prevent shrinking.  Bake for about 8-10 minutes or until meringue is a delicate brown color.  Cool completely before cutting.


Pie #2


If you're like me, and you want to make the most of your pie-making efforts, you can actually double this recipe and make two pies.  (Since I had two crusts to use, that's what I did: one for us at home and one for Steve to take to the office.)


 





File:Robert Taylor in Waterloo Bridge trailer.jpg
From the trailer for the film Waterloo Bridge, from 1940


This recipe is from my favorite cookbook, Betty Crocker's Picture Cookbook from 1951, and comes with an interesting note: apparently, this was Robert Taylor's favorite pie, and the recipe was obtained from his mother and was featured on their radio cooking school. (For those of you who don't know who Robert Taylor is--and probably, you don't--he was a famous movie star in the 40s and 50s.)
One last thought: when life gives you lemons, make some pie!!!
(Thanks to Robert Taylor!)  

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this recipe. I recent moved and realized I left my old Betty Crocker cookbook behind. This lemon meringue pie recipe has always been one of my favorite. Thanks again and yes I'm old enough to remember who Robert Taylor is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this pie! Only one our family ever made. My Uncle was a college classmate of Robert Taylor. Hence we had the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mother’s favorite lemon meringue pie recipe was titled “ Robert Taylor’s Lemon Meringue Pie”. She was born in 1920 and it was hand written in her personal cookbook where she collected her favorite recipes until she died in 1983. I inherited her cookbook and make this recipe several times a year.
    Since I’m now on Pinterest, and store my recipes there, for the heck of it I thought I’d look for Robert Taylor’s pie. I couldn’t believe it popped up! Now I know where mom got it from! What a pleasant surprise!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...