Saturday, March 5, 2011

Old-Fashioned Vegetable Soup

  
Hot and ready to serve with crackers, cornbread  or grilled cheese.

Anytime that we get sick (like now), and I start thinking about what to make for supper, soup is naturally the thing that comes to mind. If you've been reading my blog, you know that chicken noodle soup is my first go-to, but since I already shared that recipe, I thought I would make vegetable soup (my second favorite) and share it with you guys. Once again, the recipe is really only a guide; feel free to add to or take away from it as you see fit. Also, this recipe makes a large cooker full, so if you're cooking for only 2-3, you will probably want to half this.

Old-Fashioned Vegetable Soup

2 celery ribs, diced, plus tops
2/3 c. onion (or just less than 1/2 medium onion), diced
2 small carrots, split and cut into uniform pieces about 1/4" long
2 T. oil
4 medium potatoes, cut into small, uniform cubes, about 1/2" wide
1/2 small head of cabbage, shredded
2 1/2 c. frozen vegetables (choose whatever you like, but I suggest at least including peas and corn)
24 oz. tomato sauce (3 c. or 3-8 oz. cans)
4 c. water
4 beef bouillons
1/2 T. sugar
7-8 dashes Worcestershire sauce (about 1/2 T.)
1 1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
2 tsp.dried parsley

Prepare and cut all vegetables as indicated.  Heat the oil in a large cooker, and saute celery, onions and carrots until tender, but not browned. (Reserve celery tops.)  Add all other vegetables and tomato sauce.  Dissolve beef bouillons in water, then add to cooker. Add remaining ingredients, and stir to combine. Place reserved celery tops on top of soup, cover with lid, and simmer for about 30 minutes. Remove celery tops before serving, and serve hot with crackers, cornbread or grilled cheese.

After all ingredients have been combined, add celery tops, cover with lid, and simmer
for 30 minutes.
(Don't you just love those colors!?)




 This is how it should look after cooking for 30 minutes.  Notice the color isn't as
brilliant due to the vegetables having cooked into the broth.

1 comment:

  1. oh gosh how I loved this soup!!! It was delicious...I doubled recipe and froze it! Can't wait to try another of your recipes...reminds me of my grandmothers!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...