Monday, January 9, 2012

Apple Butter Nut Cake

Hi, everyone! I hope you all had a restful weekend. Mine zoomed by and it seems like I was constantly busy although I'm not sure I have much to show for it except a new cake recipe.  This recipe was sent to me by my cousin, Ron Potter. Ron is actually my Great Aunt Danola's oldest son (you may remember her from my post/recipe entitled Aunt Danola's Baby Ruth Cookies.) (By the way, Ron and his wife have their own candle business in North Carolina called Potterwyx. Their candles are custom made: you pick the fragrance and the jar and they ship them out to you! The quality is excellent and the prices very reasonable. You can check them out here.) 

I actually made this cake Saturday for my grandmother's birthday, and it was a big hit--so big, in fact, that my dad (who seldom likes any cake) ate three entire pieces! So, thank you Ron for sharing this one--it's definitely a keeper!!! 





This cake is very moist, has a delicate flavor and goes great with a cup of coffee! This is also a cake that could easily be served for breakfast, brunch or simply as a dessert. (I can also already see myself experimenting with variations of the recipe accompanied by variations of icings.)

Apple Butter Nut Cake

1 Yellow Butter Cake Mix (I prefer Duncan Hines)
5 eggs
1 c. sour cream
1/2 c. apple butter
1 apple, chopped finely
1 c. walnuts, chopped
2 T. brown sugar
2 tsp. ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a bundt pan and set aside. In a small bowl, mix together chopped walnuts, brown sugar and ground cinnamon, and set aside. In a mixing bowl, combine cake mix eggs, sour cream apple butter and chopped apple. (Do NOT make cake according to package directions.) Mix on medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour 1/3 of cake batter into bundt pan, then sprinkle 1/2 of walnut mixture over batter. Pour another 1/3 of batter on top of this, then add remaining walnut mixture. Top with remaining 1/3 of cake batter.  Place in prepared oven and bake for 45 minutes or until cake tests done.  Allow cake to cool about 15 minutes before turning out onto plate.  Serve plain or with Brown Sugar Glaze.

Brown Sugar Glaze

1/4 c. butter
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/3 c. cream
1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla

Melt butter and brown sugar together in small saucepan. Add cream, powdered sugar and vanilla, stirring well. Cook for about 5 minutes, being sure that all sugar has dissolved. Drizzle about 1/2 of this onto cake, reserving the remaining half to be served with each piece as it is cut (if desired.)


Enjoy! And as always, let me know what you think of any of my recipes if you try them! Happy baking!

3 comments:

  1. The cake was absolutely delicious--surprisingly light for a cake with nuts and chopped apples in it--and the warm glaze drizzled over each serving was the perfect finishing touch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SOOO pretty too! What an awesome mold!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks!! The only thing I don't like about it is that it takes some time to clean up because of all the crevices.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...